If you are from a member state of the European Union (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg , Malta, Poland, Portugal, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Romania and Sweden) or Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, you have the right to free movement and residence in Spain.

NIE processing

This document, which is managed in the immigration offices of the national police during the first 30 days of your stay, will allow you to stay in Spain for the duration of your studies and, in addition, will give you the possibility of traveling within the European Union and the countries that have signed with Spain or the EU the free movement of people. Obtaining an NIE and a Residence Card give the status of legal resident in Spain and are useful for many procedures. The Residence Card is a card that contains your NIE, your personal information, your photograph and your fingerprint. It is useful and necessary for procedures in which someone requires proof of your current address in Spain (for example for the library card, banks, etc.)

The documentation that in general will be required to request authorization to stay for studies is the following:

  • Application Form EX-17.
  • Valid passport with type D visa and entry stamp in Spain.
  • Proof of enrollment (or in its absence, letter of admission).
  • 3 passport-size photographs.
  • Payment of the fee, model 790 (code 012) (the form for payment is delivered by the police station).
  • Updated registration form (it is collected in the Town Hall without previous appointment).

As a general rule, the same day that the documentation is submitted, the fingerprints will be placed and a receipt with the provisional NIE number will be received. While the application is processed and the definitive card is issued, the receipt with its provisional NIE number is valid to prove its legal presence in Spain. Depending on the Autonomous Community, the Police Station will take between 15 days and 3 months to deliver the final authorization.

Renewal of NIE and extension of stay for studies

The green card is valid for one year and is renewable as long as your studies have continuity and are of the same academic level. It is important that you understand this point: you can change schools but you can not change your academic level unless there is a justification from the center where you studied. If you want to change your academic level, it is good that you consult us first or speak with a professional to see if it is possible. For example, if you have a Master and you want to extend it with a language course (Spanish), it is possible if your previous Master was in another language such as English.

The application, in official form (EX-11), original and copy, will be submitted to the competent body for processing (Foreigners Office or, failing that, Police Station) or any other official record, with the following documentation :

  • Full passport or valid travel title. Only photocopies of photo, visa and personal information sheets are necessary
  • Photocopy of the NIE (both sides)
  • Authorization of parents or guardians, in case of minors.
  • Documentation proving that you have sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Spain. The minimum balance will be the result of multiplying about € 600 for the months of your stay. It must be the document stamped by the bank. Also, you can present the statement of the Spanish bank stamped by the bank with the movements corresponding to the last 6 months with a value of about € 600 and a final minimum balance of about € 3200
  • Documentation proving that you have medical insurance that covers medical expenses throughout your stay in Spain. Repatriation is not necessary in case of renewal of NIE
  • Three recent passport size photographs, in color and with white background.
  • Certificate of achievement of the completed course and registration in the new course, is the supporting documentation that has passed the relevant tests or requirements for the continuity of their studies.
  • Updated registration form (it is collected in the Town Hall without previous appointment)

In cases of entry with a visa, when the duration of this is less than three months, you can extend the stay provided that the Consulate or the Embassy of Spain has processed a study visa with the observation “STUDIES TOTAL 180 DAYS”. Said extension may not exceed three months in a period of six. You have to follow the same procedures of renewing NIE with the only difference that you have to present the certificate of criminal records of the countries of residence of the last 5 years, legalized and translated into Spanish or Catalan.

In the event that you have been denied an extension of stay, you must be informed of the reasons in a formal manner with all the guarantees of recourse.

Registration process with BCNSUNLIGHT for renewal of NIE for extension of stay for studies

To know in which process is your renewal you have to follow these steps:

If you are already a BCNSUNLIGHT student:

To obtain our certificate of achievement you must take a level test and have attended 80% of the classes. We remind you that, to obtain the Certificate of Achievement for the course taken, you must request an appointment with our examiner to be able to take the exam. You can request an appointment by email at or directly at the reception.

In the renewal of the courses we make a 10% discount and registration is free.

If you come from another school:

You must pay the tuition (€ 200), which includes the first book and legal advice + long-term course. Remember that we have special prices for long-term courses; you have to contact us.

If the renewal is denied, the school will pay the entire amount of the course, only retain the registration.